The grocery store can be a tricky place to accomplish exactly what you set out to do. It is a busy place full of distractions, temptations, and attractions. It is an easy place to get caught up and spend more time and money than you intended. Even though it may be difficult, stay the course and achieve success with these grocery shopping tips.
The Do’s to a Successful Grocery Store Trip
- Make a detailed shopping list of exactly what you need to get. Then make sure to bring it along with you to the grocery store! I have left the list at home on the counter before or in the car. Make sure it is with you when you enter the store doors.
- Stick to your grocery shopping list. You will save time and money if you stick to your list.
- Bring along the store ad and your coupon book. The store ad is helpful to reference if needed. Do not forget to use coupons you have for items you are purchasing.
- Double check items as you are putting them in the cart. Be sure you are grabbing the correct product. Sometimes products are on the wrong shelf. Also check expiration dates as you pick items up. Old expired food can be left on the shelves which you do not want to buy.
- Double check your grocery list right before you are about to check out. Make sure you didn’t forget any items and have the correct quantities. Double check you have all the coupons ready to hand over that you are using.
- Watch your items as they are scanned. By watching the clerk you can catch errors as they happen instead of waiting until the end. Errors happen more than you think and that money adds up.
- Check your receipt before you leave the store. Even though you watched the items being scanned there could be an error. Make sure all the coupons came off that you used. Check that you received the correct sale prices on items and that the correct number of items was scanned. I have had it where I bought only 2 of an item but they charged me for 3 of them.
- As the “is it worth it” question. If you are debating about buying something not on sale, an expensive dinner, or buying something unhealthy always ask yourself is this going to be worth it.
The Don’ts to Avoid on a Grocery Store Trip
- Don’t grocery shop when you are hungry. It is easier to lose control and buy extra food or food that is not on sale. You may deter from your shopping list because you want to eat anything and everything when hungry in the store.
- Don’t impulse buy. Sometimes we pass by an item and we think to ourselves that looks good, or I have always wanted to try that, or that is on a really good sale. So we throw it in the cart and buy it. Then it sits on our pantry shelf and expires because it is not a product we use.
- Don’t buy something just because it is on sale. It is still cheaper to buy nothing than something you aren’t going to use.
- Don’t wander around the store. Be purposeful everywhere you go. If you do not have an item on your list in the next aisle skip that aisle all together. Have the next item on your list in your mind so you think about that and not what you are passing by on the shelves. Stay focused on the items on your list.
Final Thoughts on Grocery Shopping Tips
Grocery shopping can quickly get out of control and take lots of your time and money. Stay focused and disciplined with these grocery shopping tips to become a highly effective shopper.