You followed mom’s hospital checklist and everything you need for the hospital during labor and delivery is packed. You feel confident and ready for your stay at the hospital. Although, what about your baby? What will your baby need at the hospital? What should you pack in the hospital bag for baby?
In addition to yourself, pack the hospital bag for baby well in advance of your due date. Nothing should change with the baby beforehand, so pack the items in the hospital bag for baby at least a couple months before he/she arrives. For a quick checklist on what to do before you leave for the hospital click here.
A baby does not need their own bag for the hospital. They can share with you if there is room. For more on how to get prepared for all things baby click here for my Ultimate Baby Planning Guide.
What to Pack in a Hospital Bag for Baby
There is not much you need to pack in a hospital bag for baby. The hospital provides most things that you will need, but here are some items to pack in a hospital bag for baby.
1. Baby outfit to wear home. This is an exciting outfit to pick out. The one your baby goes out into the world in and meets their home. It is like they become an official member of the family when leaving the hospital. It is an outfit that you will always remember.
2. Special hat, headband, booties. If you have a particular hat, headband or booties you want your baby to wear for the first time, or in baby announcement pictures. Maybe it is a special heirloom or something someone special made for your baby.
3. Boppy. If you are nursing a boppy comes in handy right from the start in the hospital. If you aren’t sure if you will use it right away you can always keep it in the car.
4. Car seat. Something easy to forget because they aren’t traveling with you yet is the baby’s car seat. At least a few months before baby is due register for or purchase an approved infant car seat. Then get the base properly installed in your vehicle. Most local fire or police departments will do this free of charge. When you leave for the hospital make sure you have both the base and the car seat.
Lastly, make sure your hospital bag is pack and ready to go. Follow this mom’s hospital checklist to be sure you have everything you may need. In addition, the father/coach should have their bag packed as well. Click here for a hospital checklist for dad.
What the Hospital Provides for Baby
So your baby will actually need more than four things, but the hospital provides everything else the baby needs. It is nice to receive everything the hospital gives you to care for your baby. Everything is right there, and easily accessible. Plus, they let you take most of the baby items home with you. Be sure to take advantage of this and take home everything the hospital lets you use for the baby. This includes the following:
- Nose sucker
Before Leaving for the Hospital
Furthermore, in those final minutes at home before you leave for the hospital, you may be a little frantic with the excitement and nerves of the baby coming. There are a few things you should do to make coming home from the hospital easier. Entering a house with a new baby that is decluttered, clean, and stocked up is refreshing after a crazy few days in the hospital. Check out what to do before you leave for the hospital HERE.
Final Thoughts on Packing a Hospital Bag for Baby
Besides packing your hospital bag, be sure to pack everything your baby will need as well. This will help for a smoother hospital stay for all of you.
For more on how to prepare yourself for life with a baby check out my Ultimate Baby Planning Guide. Grab your free 30 item baby planning checklist below.
Let me know what you think of the list in the comments below. Is there anything you would swap in or out on the list?
- 10 Items to Stockpile Before Baby Comes
- What Clothes Does a New Baby Actually Need
- 30 Things to Do to Prepare For a Baby
- 10 Things to Know to Prepare Yourself For Life With a Baby
- 15 Items to Pack in Your Hospital Bag
- How to Prepare Your Home For a Baby
- 25 Baby Things You Don’t Need – What Not to Register For
- 20 Best Baby Items to Buy Used or Borrow
- 12 Household Items to Use as Baby Toys
Leave a Reply